LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Drive

I went on a little road trip with my Sissy today. Her youngest was in a cheerleading competition today in Bloomington (home of Illinois State University) which is about 150 miles from here. Yeah, nice little drive, right?

The girls went down last night, and spent the night at a hotel. Of course, our girls were performing first, so we had to be on time. Thankfully, the competition didn't start until 10. My sister and I hit the road just after 7 am, as Mapquest said it was going to be approximately a 2 1/2 hour drive. Well, thanks to my expert driving skills (aka, speeding like a mofo!) we made it in about an hour and a half.

The highway was pretty much empty at that time on a Sunday morning, so we just cruised along, taking in the scenery (which was pretty much LOTS of flat land!), chatting, singing, laughing, having a great time. I guess that's why I didn't realize how fast I was going most of the time. At one point, I glanced down at my speedometer to see that the needle was nearly at 100. (Go ahead, yell, get it out of your system. Done? Ok.) I guess that's how I was able to shave so much time off our journey.

Being the first school to perform meant we had to sit and wait for a very long time for the awards ceremony. Actually, my niece asked my sister if we were going to just watch them perform and then leave, because she was worried that she would have to go home with us instead of the friend she drove there with yesterday. The little shit! We assured her that we weren't going to drive over 2 hours to watch a 4 minute routine, and then turn around and drive 2+ hours back home. When the girls are in competitions 'at home,' my sister and I usually leave and have lunch or shop or something, then go back for the awards. But, we didn't know where the hell we were, or where anything was in the area, so we just basically sat in the auditorium, in those oh, so comfortable bleachers for about 5 hours.

It was all worth it in the end, though, because guess which school won 1st place! Woo hoo!! I took some photos and videos to share, but in all honesty, I'm too tired and lazy to get out of bed and get my camera so I can upload them for you. Maybe tomorrow?

In the windup, my niece did drive home with us. We stopped to get something to eat, so by the time we finally got on the road, it was already getting dark. Not exactly the time of day that I wanted to do such a long drive, but what are you gonna do? We ended up getting off the highway about a block from the bar because I needed gas, and then we popped into the bar because I had to go potty. I knew I wouldn't be able to make it another 45+ minutes it was going to take for me to drop off my sister and niece, and then get home. I walked in my door at 7 pm, 12 hours after I walked out.

It was a great way to spend a Sunday. But, now I'm really tired, so I'm gonna hit the sack. I need to be well rested for another week at the Hell-Hole! ;-)

4 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Congrats to the girls!

C said...

congratualtions to your niece, you must be so proud... i LOVE me some fun drives wiff me sissy Jo... not da udder one... shhhh dont tell her...

C said...

ps we have a snow day here, all schools and colleges closed... 8-10 inches!!! whoopppeeeeee

Gberger said...

You are a GOOD sister and auntie!