Ok, my Bloggy Buddies, this is a recipe I've been making for about 20 years, and it's the most requested dish by my family. The part in black is the original recipe that I received from a friend at my wedding shower. The part in red is the alterations I've made to the recipe. I could eat this every single day of my life, it's THAT good! It's kinda a two-day recipe (you need to start the night before) but, oh, so worth it!
Taffy Apple Salad
• 1 can chunk pineapple (drain & reserve liquid)
• 2 cups mini marshmallows
• 1 Tablespoon flour
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 ½ Tablespoon white vinegar
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 8oz container Cool Whip, thawed (I use 2 8oz containers, usually the extra creamy)
• 1 ½ cups Spanish peanuts (I use a can of nut topping, intended for ice cream sundaes. It more like what’s actually on a taffy apple!)
• 3 cups diced apples w/peel (I only use Granny Smith apples, [cuz that’s what I like!] and I run it through my apple/peeler/corer/slicer from Pampered Chef, so it’s not chunks of apple, it’s smaller pieces)
Mix pineapple chunks and marshmallows. Cover with foil and refrigerate.
Mix flour, pineapple juice, sugar, vinegar and egg. Cook until thick over medium heat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
In a large bowl mix Cool Whip, apples, peanuts and Bowls #1 and #2. Refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving. (I have a goofy, kinda anal-retentive way that I put this together. The first thing I do is put the custard sauce [bowl #2] in a huge mixing bowl, then I add the apple pieces, and mix thoroughly, so each piece is coated in custard. Then, I add the nut topping [reserving a few tbs for garnish] and mix again, so that each piece of apple is coated with nuts. I then mix in the pineapple/marshmallow mix [bowl #1], again mixing thoroughly. Finally, I add the Cool Whip, one container at a time, mixing thoroughly after each container. I then transfer it to whatever serving bowl I’m going to use, and top it with the reserved nut topping. Refrigerate at least 6 hours.)
Holy snikey’s, an amazing chopped salad
1 hour ago