LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hallelujah, no kids tomorrow!

I've decided to only focus on the positive today, so here goes. As we were walking out at the end of the day, I was told that another of my students was transferring out, and today would be her last day. Gee, I'd love to say I'm broken up about it, but NOT! There was an incident the other day, that I didn't even write about because I was so aggravated, that involved this child. Well, not the child, but her crazy, ghetto-ass mother. I'm just thrilled to not have to deal with her anymore. I do feel bad for the little girl, though. This will be the third new school for her this year alone!! That's nuts! We've only been in school for 31 days. Poor thing. I hope it's a smooth transition for her. (Cute little story about this little girl - she told me that at her old school, when they got drinks, their teacher told them to say to themselves, "1, 2, 3, that's enough for me." We've been using since she told us about it.)

Snack time was tons-o-fun again today. We had these really yummy cookies from Keebler called Bug Bites. They are AWESOME! Just the right touch of cinnamon in a crunchy, delicious graham cracker bite. Plus, they are totally adorable. We had so much fun talking about what kind of bug each cookie was, and my babies learned the names of some bugs they didn't all know yet (i.e. dragonfly) We have a bug unit coming up very soon for science, so I'm hoping the lunch lady gets some more of these so I can set them aside to use during this unit. Even if she doesn't, they are so perfect, I'll just go buy some at the store. I was even thinking about bringing some tinted icing to school so the babies can use paintbrushes and "paint" the bugs the right colors. Then we can wear our spider hats (that we'll also be making during this unit, which conveniently happens during the Halloween season!) and devour all the pretty little bugs! OK, I'm getting far too excited.

Jeez, it's good to feel this way again. THIS is why I love teaching!!

Another positive - no kids tomorrow. It's a teachers institute day. Not only are there no kids, I don't really even have to be at school. Dori and I are going to the Palmer House downtown for professional development with our illustrious leader, Arne Duncan. (No negative today, so moving on!!) We only have to be at school for about an hour and a half, then we get to leave, stop somewhere for lunch, and go to the PD from 11:00-1:00. The Big Cheese actually informed us during our staff meeting yesterday that those of us who will be going to the Palmer House don't have to come back to school after the meeting, since it's so far, and we'll have to drive in Friday afternoon traffic. So basically, I'll be finished by 1:00. I'll let you in on a little secret...I don't plan to get to work until about 9:30 tomorrow. We're supposed to start at 8:30, but we can punch in up to an hour late (or leave up to an hour early) without losing any pay. So, tomorrow is the perfect day to take advantage of that little loophole in our contract. And, I won't feel the LEAST bit guilty about only working 3 1/2 hours tomorrow, since I'm usually at school before 8 most days. Plus, I've really just had a totally shitty week!!!

This is exactly the way it should end. The cherry on top is I plan to take my son to see Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is being rereleased tomorrow in 3D. I think we'll go to the Navy Pier IMAX. Believe it or not, I've never seen it. I don't think my son has either, unless he's seen it with his father.

I finished my day in the perfect way today - with a hug from my Dori!! It was great, and just what I needed. Love you, Girl!! Can't wait to play hooky with you tomorrow. :) Where should we go for lunch?


These days people seek knowledge, not wisdom. Knowledge is of the past, wisdom is of the future. ---Vernon Cooper

1 comment:

Me said...

Its days like today that make the rest of the crap easier to deal with. And it's the best time of year in Chicago so enjoy the city, the season, the yummy eats and playing hooky!

=)