LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, February 21, 2013

2/21/13

Thursday, February 21, 2013
Do you think people can live without love?


No.  It doesn't matter who the love is from, a partner/spouse/lover, a child, another family member, or even a pet.  But, everyone needs love in their life.  I think most importantly, people need to love themselves.

And, before this gets all deep and mushy, I'm moving on.  I'm not digging this prompt, or the next few, for that matter.  They're just too deep and serious for me.  I just can't dig down for those answers right now because I'm afraid of opening the floodgates. 

I had to take an unexpected drive out to Stud's school today.  He left his freakin' wallet in my bathroom last night, then went to class without it.  I figured today would be the day he got pulled over or something, and didn't want him to be without his wallet.  Plus, he had no money on him to get a drink or something to eat.  So, I drove out to the college before going to the gym.  He didn't even realize he didn't have it, the big dork!!  Then, he had the gall to say to me, "Since you drove all the way out here, you should have brought me something to eat."  Such a teenaged boy!!

So, um...yeah...my dad's already ready to NOT be retired.  I've been telling him for about 6 months, since he first announced he was going to retire, that this was NOT a good idea.  By now, you guys know that I love my mother, but she is not the easiest person to be around all day.  ESPECIALLY if you're me or my father!  He actually "went to work" today, which is hilarious.  He still needs to clean out his office, and take care of some paperwork, so he went there today to do some of that.  He talked to his boss before leaving last week about coming back as a consultant.  He said he was going to take a couple of weeks "off," then start consulting.  The HR manager told my dad at his retirement luncheon that the boss told her she was not allowed to call my dad for 2 weeks.  She told my dad she'd be talking to him after that, and probably often. 

My dad was with this company for 30 years.  He was there longer than anyone else who currently works there, including his boss.  Actually, his boss is sort of new (about 3 year, I think?) and is relatively young compared to my dad.  So basically, my dad ran the place, and everyone, including his boss, looked to him for guidance.  I don't know what they're going to do without him, quite frankly.  That's why I think this consulting thing is going to work out nicely for all of them. 

We're trying to convince him he should just go in from like 10-2, three days a week.  He'll miss the morning and evening rush hours, which is HUGE!!  Part of the reason my dad really wanted to retire is because he can't take the driving anymore.  It took him anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way everyday.  God forbid it rains or snows, because then it's closer to 2 hours.  It's just too much for him now.  He's going to be 70 in April, and doesn't need the aggravation anymore.

I think I've mentioned before that my dad is a world-class trap shooter.  The sportsman's club he belongs to is about half-way between home and work.  Actually, it's closer to work.  He goes shooting every Sunday and Wednesday, and has for the past 50 years.  We told him that Wednesday is definitely one of the days he should "work" because then he'll already be north, and close to the club.  So, that's at least ONE day he'll get a break, right?

I know I mentioned a few weeks ago that we're throwing a Retirement/70th Birthday party for my daddy in a few weeks.  My sister and I are trying to decide this week what we want to use for centerpieces.  I'll be sharing more about it soon. I just may be asking for your input on some things!

A bunch of you have asked for some before and after photos, now that I've shed nearly 60 lbs.  (I've hit another plateau, though, and I'm completely irritated!!  But, I'm bitch about that later.)  I'm planning to use the photos we take at the party as the after pictures, since I'll be dressed up and "cute."  So, stay tuned!


4 comments:

Gberger said...

Retirement is a BIG adjustment.

Are you going to post photos of OP-SMA? I am so impressed with your motivation, drive and SUCCESS with your weight loss! Congratulations!

La Roo said...

You had to remind me this is "our" place . It's a diary, it's a place to feel what we need too.
So hearing you can't dig deep for fear of floodgates...remember that this is the place to do it with no judgements.
I fearyou are such the caretaker of everyone else that you don't take the time for yourself.
You are such a sweetie pie and I hope I'm not intruding.
You've been so supportive to me I just want you to know I and others around these parts can help.
Hugs

Sonya Ann said...

You are amazing and so is your dad! WOW 60 pounds lighter. I wanna be you when I grow up.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Yep, I like your retirement plan for your daddy!!! That drive would drive me insane.
So, you aren't going to look cute until your Dad's party? You do realize there was a lot wrong with that statement.
My Mom turns 70 in April....I'm taking her to Vegas!