LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Friday, April 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

This is absolutely one of my favorite pictures of me and my daddy. He looks a little like Elvis, doesn't he? This was taken at Kiddieland about 39 years ago. For the record, Kiddieland still has this exact same carousel, and hasn't changed much in the 50+ years it's been around.

Today my daddy turned 65. That means that in 27 short days, I will be turning (gasp!) 40. Yikes! Big year for both of us. And, my baby will be 15. How the hell did that happen?! I think it's kinda cool that my daddy and I are 25 years apart, and my son and I are also 25 years apart.

We had a big surprise party for my dad when he turned 50. At the time of his party, I hadn't told him yet that I was pregnant. (Partly because I couldn't bear to admit that his little girl was having sex! Never mind that I was already married for over 3 years at this point!) I had a fake newspaper made up with a headline that read "MG to Become a Grandpa at the Ripe Old Age of 50!" And that's how he found out I was having a baby. It's one of the few times I've ever seen my dad cry.
My dad and son absolutely adore each other. He's the first grandchild, and only grandson, so he'll always have a special place in my daddy's heart. Despite promising myself I wouldn't post pictures of my child (or any family members for that matter), I'm gonna do it again. This is one of my favorite pictures of him and his grandpa. I think it's about 10 years old now. They're both lookers, don't ya think?
Sadly, I didn't end up ditching my workshop today, so I didn't have lunch with my daddy. But, we'll be having dinner together tonight (me, mom, sis and dad) then we'll head over to the bar and do a little celebrating with my brother. I think I'd better go take a quick nap, cuz I think it's gonna be a late night! Happy, happy birthday, Daddy!! I love you!!!!
The greatest gift I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!
~Author Unknown

3 comments:

Najia said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! I hope you all have a great time at Intimo. That place looks gorgeous!

Me said...

What a cute pic! Ok is your Dad related to Frank's Dad? Because they look a lot alike. I'm not sure I understand the whole connection. All I know is that you're kissing cousins, so please explain!!!

Happy Bday to your Pops. Have fun tonight!

ChiTown Girl said...

Thanks, Girls, for the birthday wishes for my daddy.

Smiley, I swear I was gonna add a line in the post just for you asking if you thought my dad and uncle looked alike. Frank's dad is the oldest brother, and my dad is the youngest brother. They look a lot alike, don't they? My dad is the baby of 13 (yikes! God bless my grandma!) and he's still treated like a baby 65 years later! It's actually pretty funny to see him with his siblings.

KBL, we had a blast last night. The place was PACKED again! We brought a cake to the bar with us, and at about midnight, my brother shut off the music and had the entire bar sing to my dad. It was sweet. One of my cousins came to the bar, and the card he brought my dad turned into a crown that said "Birthday Slut." My dad actually wore it for about an hour. Too funny!

I can't wait for you both to get your behinds here to have a drink with me at Intimo! As busy as we've been from the get-go, it seems it'll be a while before I can get my big butt out to CA, so it's up to you guys to come here ;-)