LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Happy Birthday! (updated)

(I just got home from the awesome party, and I have a couple of little things to change/update about the story below, since we talked about it at the party! I added the changes in red.)

Today is my favorite uncle's birthday. The big 6-0!! He is my mom's younger brother, the baby of the family (and only boy!). Since my mother was about 12 when she got married, my uncle was still in high school when I was born. Let me share something he wrote for English class his senior year.

Lisa Marie

As I walked into the bedroom, she was sleeping. I went over to her and kissed her cheek. Her head turned as she stretched her beautiful body. When she opened her eyes, it seemed as though someone had turned the lights on, they were bright as stars. She looked at me and smiled. A sudden warmth rushed through me. I sat next to her and kissed her again. Chills ran down my spine, as she ran her fingers through my hair. As I touched my face to hers, it seemed as if the sun had just come out on a cloudy day. Her skin was soft as velvet. "Lisa," I whispered in her ear, "surely you are the most beautiful girl in the world." But, she said nothing -- because at four months, she had not yet learned to talk.

This is something I have always treasured. I have the original paper he wrote (complete with the big red A he received!) with the rest of my childhood keepsakes. I have so many wonderful memories from my childhood that involve my uncle.

One of my favorite stories happened when I was just under 2 years old, so I don't actually remember the incident, but I will forever remember the story. My uncle had come to pick me up to spend some time with me. As we were driving down the street, some lunatic flew out of an alley, across the street we were on, and back into the alley. My uncle slammed on the brakes, and, being the late 60s, I was not in a car seat, or even in a seatbelt. I flew into the dashboard, and hit my head.

Naturally, I started to bleed like a stuck pig. My uncle raced back to my parent's house, carried me up to the house and banged on the door. When my mother opened the door, he said, "HERE!" threw me at her, covered in blood, and took off.

My mother, of course, freaked the hell out at seeing her baby covered in blood. She started cleaning me up, and finally found the cut on my forehead. It wasn't even big enough for my mother to take me for stitches. Apparently, my mother DID take me to the hospital since it was a head injury, and I received ONE stitch!

In the meantime, my uncle drove around the neighborhood until he found the car that cut us off. It was parked outside a neighborhood bar. He went in, asked whose car it was, then dragged the assbag outside and beat the ever-living snot out of him!! The whole time, he kept screaming at the dirtbag that he hurt his baby niece. My hero!!! He's STILL my hero!

I think about that story every time I look in the mirror, and see my scar. And, it makes me giggle a little inside every time. :)

Happy Birthday, Uncle Ed!!!HPIM0429B

In a couple hours, we will all be getting together for a surprise party for him. This will be the third Sunday out of the past four that the whole family will be together. I can’t wait. My family is a riot!

Today is also my bestest friend’s birthday! It might not be the most recent photo, but trust me, we’re still just as cute!! (If you look close enough, you can see my scar! Maybe click on the photo to enlarge it.)

Happy Birthday, My Bestest Friend!!

Me&Coll

6 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Your Uncle is one in a million. But you already knew that. I love family get togethers...will have one myself next week.
Happy birthday to them both.

ps. My ex stepsister is Lisa Marie..was your Mom a fan of Elvis too?

C said...

you look so RADIENT! happy happy day to you and your family! glad you have such loving memories... ahhh, if we could only relive some of them, ya know? congrats on your wt. loss too! it's marvy, simply marvy i say! lookin good in da hood, sistah!

c

Katy said...

Your uncle sounds AWESOME! My brother was 12 when daughter was born and they have an amazing relationship too. I'm pretty sure he would kick the ass of anyone who hurt her too. :-)

Gberger said...

GREAT photos of you, your friend and your uncle. What a blessing, to have such unconditional love from the beginning of your life! He sounds like a wonderful man. God bless you, your friend and your uncle!

Laura said...

Go Uncle Ed with your badass self! lucky niece!

ChiTown Girl said...

Florida Girl - you just made me laugh out loud, not to mention spit a little on my screen!! That is EXACTLY what I needed today. Thank you!