LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm no Julie McCoy....

Nothing really worth writing about today. The babies drove me freakin' nuts, as usual. All but 2 were there, so we were packed in like sardines.

I have a mom (the one I mentioned weeks ago, who kept her kid home because it was his birthday!!) who drives me freakin' craaazzzzyyy!!! Most mornings, she brings her precious little darling to school late, and then she insists on walking him all the way to the room, then she comes IN the room, hangs up his stuff for him, talking, loudly, the whole time ("Come on, Baby, give me your bookbag." "Ok, baby, have a great day!" etc.) despite the fact that class has ALREADY STARTED AND I'M TRYING TO TEACH!!!! You crazy bitch!

Then, she is always standing in the hall at the end of the day, waiting for her child, instead of being out on the playground, where she belongs!!! Today, as I'm trying to walk 30+ children out for dismissal, she starts asking me, "Are they going on the circus trip?" I gave her my best WTF look, and said, "What trip? I have no idea what you're talking about." She says, "The Univer-Soul Circus. The preschool is going." "That has nothing to do with us, this is kindergarten." In my head, that sentence finished with, "You goofy bitch!!" "Oh, really?" Yes, REALLY!!! Ugh!!! Of course, in the meantime, my other kids are all over the hall, instead of walking in two (LONG) lines.

After I dismissed my class, I was trying to get to the office to swipe out, so I could leave to pick up Stud, and she started in again! "Isn't there any way you could join the preschool?" "Absolutely not." "What if we got a lot of parents to come, like they do in preschool?" Ok, parents on field trips are the biggest problem with the field trips!!! (Keep in mind, I'm specifically referring to OUR parents, not parents in general!) "No, in preschool, the parents are required to go. We would never get enough parents to go. And, there's no way I'll be taking this many kids anywhere on my own." I wanted to throw in, "especially the way this group behaves!!" but I kept it to myself. "Well, will you be taking a lot of trips?"she whined. "No, probably not. That's the problem with having 38 kindergartners and no assistant. That's just the way it goes."

At this point, I wasn't even TRYING to be polite. She was seriously bugging my ass! I mean, seriously, WTF?! If you feel your child needs to go see the Univer-Soul Circus, then shit! Buy a damn ticket, and take him!!! I've got bigger fish to fry, like trying to teach your little cherub the damn letters of the alphabet, which you apparently were too busy to even introduce him to! How 'bout you teach him the ABC Song? Or a color? Or a number? A shape? ANYTHING!!!! I'm busy all day trying to teach the reading program, the math program, the science program, the social studies program, the NEW character education program, all while trying to get 30+ babies to sit in their seats, keep their hands and feet to themselves, and pay attention. Add the unbuttoning and buttoning of at least 20 pairs of pants at every bathroom break, unbuckling and rebuckling at least 10 belts, the tying of 100 shoe laces each day, saying 100 times a day "STOP DIGGING IN YOU NOSE AND GET A TISSUE!!" Yeah, you're right, I've got PLENTY of time to worry about taking your kid to the freakin' circus!!!!!!! UGH! Apparently, she pissed me off more than I realized... (Keep in mind that this kind of crap with this woman has been going on since school started 5 weeks ago. Today was certainly NOT the first time something like this has happened, but it obviously must have been the straw that broke the camel's back, huh?)

This is something that is really pissing me off regarding New Principal. She PROMISED us in the beginning of the year, that she was going to keep the parents out, both before and after school. Unless they have an appointment, they have absolutely NO business in the hallways, outside of our rooms. Almost every single day, I have some parent knocking on my door 10-15 minutes before school gets out because they want their child. This is exactly why we asked her to keep the parents OUT. At that time of the day, I'm trying to get every kid in and out of the coat closet, helping them pack up their bookbags, put on their jackets, etc. I don't have time to deal with people at the door. I don't even answer it anymore. How freakin' hard is it to go stand on the playground where you belong? Your child will be coming out, just like every other child. I don't get it.

OK, now that I've offended every one of my Bloggy Buddies who are parents, let me just remind you that I, too, am a parent. However, I have always followed whatever rules and procedures were in place at Stud's school. Despite my thinking that he was the single greatest child ever born, he was never treated any differently than any other child in his school, and I was expected to abide by the same rules as every other parent. I practically had to give blood just to enter the office. Parents were NEVER allowed beyond that point. We were NEVER allowed to go to the classroom. If we were picking our child up, the child was sent down to the office. We weren't allowed to just roam freely through the building, like parents are at the Hell-Hole. This is a serious safety issue, and it's being completely ignored. In that neighborhood, you can never be too careful about who the hell is walking in off the street.

Wow, so much for not having much to say. I could seriously go on and on, but it's past my bedtime, and I think I've offended enough people for one night. I hope tomorrow goes a little better. And God help this nutjob if she even TRIES to talk to me tomorrow!!!

7 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

crazy parents would drive me bonkers too.
I see a 6th grader each morning getting walked INTO middle school by her mom when I drop Linds off...I just shake my head and imagine high school for this girl.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, and why can't you just take that kid to the soul circus Chi? Really, it is that hard?



:0

ChiTown Girl said...

Suz, I'm SO glad you're volunteering to fly up to ChiTown and chaperone this circus trip! That's awesome! ;-)

Gberger said...

This isn't offensive; it's educational. I never thought about how much of a kindergarten teacher's time is taken up with mechanics, like shoelaces and belts. (Who puts a belt on a kindergartener's pants, anyway? Elastic waistbands at that age, right?) And I never thought about the safety issue in that way, but you are right.
You are teaching me, too, ChiTown...thank you.

ChiTown Girl said...

Karen, the belt is part of our uniform. Boys are to wear black belts with their blue pants. But, yeah, I'm with you. Stud lived in sweat pants at that age!!

Clippy Mat said...

this brings back so many memories of my 11 years working with preschoolers and the flaming interruptions, and the buttons, and the belts, and the snowsuits, and the diapers, and the shoelaces, and the underwear and the snotty noses and the overbearing parents and the trips without enough help.
how do you do it?
i feel for you. you deserve a medal. and tell that woman who wants to go to the circus to ***@#$
and ***! idiot!
;-)
p.s. well done on the weight loss. what ARE you doing?

Little Chef On The Prairie said...

I can only imagine how hard it is with the parents at the level you teach. I get annoyed when they come in at 5th grade which is much less frequent.

I always get more involvement about the field trip stuf than anything else. We had to take our kids to the state fair the first two years I taught....I was young and stupid and didn't know what I was doing, or that I could opt out and say hell no for my class. It was AWFUL.

I had a first year teacher I was mentoring through our state program who taught K like you. We do 50 hours outside the class with them, and 3 days in the class with them. I didn't find out until almost the end of October that one of her parents had been coming in THREE TIMES A DAY, to take her kid to the bathroom. This kid was normal, no developmental problems or anything. I put a stop to that BS right then and there. How had that first year teacher been tolerating that for 2 months?

I am saving your lasagna recipe for the end of the month. We don't have anything to do that weekend, and I'm going for it. :)