LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

If you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait 5 minutes!

What a crazy weather day here in Chitown! When I went to work this morning, it was a balmy 50 degrees. Right now, as I type, there's a blizzard outside my window, and temperature is a frigid 17 degrees, with a windchill of -2! Yikes!

While we were walking back from a bathroom break this afternoon, I was walking backwards, facing the babies, like I usually do. Because there was another class in the hallway, we were walking on the "wrong" side of the hall. There is a desk that sits in the hall, where one of our crack security staff sits all day. Well, needless to say, as I was walking backward, I walked right smack into the corner of the desk. Ouch! The babies were so cute, as they all immediately starting asking, "Are you ok?" My buddy D.J. pipes in with, "Well, I know that had to hurt! That was right on the corner!" He killed me! He was genuinely concerned though, which was so touching and sweet. God, I love that kid!

This month for science we've been studying all about penguins. Some of you may recall I have a sick, almost twisted obsession with these tuxedoed little darlings. Our penguin unit usually extends a bit longer than it really should, but luckily the babies never seem to mind. We started making penguin puppets yesterday, and we got as far as coloring and cutting out the body parts. Today we glued to parts to a paper bag to create the puppet. Shoot! I just realized I forgot to download the pictures I took of them. Anyway, as I was circulating the room, helping the babies, one of them says to another, "Wow, that is a nice penguin!" I was cracking up! I love when they sincerely compliment each other. This class is especially complimentary of each other, and it's great. It's not unusual to hear, "That looks pretty!" or "You color nice!" on a daily basis. I hope they don't outgrow that trait.

Time for a little something not related to school. Just in case you missed it yesterday, the Hawaii Chair made it's debut on Ellen! My friend, Melissa, who has a morning show here in Chicago, is planning on getting one, then going around Chicago taping people using it at work. I've already volunteered to use it at school!

If I could go back to weather for just a second, it's a good thing it was so "warm" earlier, because one of our little darlings in the first grade decided it would be fun to pull the fire alarm today. We had to rush out, obviously, and we didn't stop for our coats. Thankfully, it wasn't -2 like it is now, or my babies would have been in trouble! As for M.S., the little darling who pulled the alarm, I hope he survives the next couple of days at home while being suspended. I had him in my class last year, and know his parents well. The don't believe in sparing the rod, that's for sure! I just hope he doesn't have any visible bruises or black eyes on Friday when he comes back. The nurse already threatened to call DCFS last year on the parents when he came to school with nasty bruises on his arm. I could go on about this, but I'm choosing to let it go.

Suddenly, there are wind gusts blowing so hard against the window, I'm no longer comfortable sitting here. They've been warning us about this storm for days and it's here full force. I think I'd better get off this computer and away from these windows.


Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. ---Kin Hubbard

This is one of my favorite penguin pictures. It hangs on my fridge. And, yes, I DO know I'm a dork, thanks!! Wait til I post the pictures of my all-penguin bathroom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy balls- you are friends with melissa foreman?

Ñ said...

That Chicago weather is crazy! I didn't get to see that episode of Ellen either. Actually I don't get to see it at all since I'm at work when it's on :( That clip was funny though!