LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

5/19/11

Thursday, May 19, 2011

What song reminds you of childhood?

Wow, I don't even know where to start. Music has always been a HUGE part of my life, and my family's lives. There was ALWAYS music playing in our house, and the houses of all our relatives. My daddy is a musician and there's NOTHING better than to sit around listening to him play his guitar and sing for us.

There are so many songs that instantly take me back to my childhood. Many of them are traditional Italian songs, so I won't even list them, as I don't think anyone else would know them.

"Oldies" make me flashback to being in one of my relatives' basements, dancing like maniacs. My mom, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, everybody. One song that I specifically remember getting down to with my cousins in Rockin' Robin. My oldest cousin and I had a whole dance routine that we did to this song.

Another one I loved was Witch Doctor. OMG, I actually had the album pictured in this video! I LOVED that record! I used to play it over and over and over on my record player. Another favorite from that album was One-Eyed, One-Horned, Flying Purple People Eater.

I was lucky enough to grow up in the 70s, so there are SO many great songs that remind me of being a kid. And don't get me started on disco. I think I was the original Dancing Queen. Again, my cousin and I came up with elaborate dance routines to go with our favorite songs. We LOVED to do The Hustle.

I was also a fan of rock back in the day. KISS was hugely popular, and all the boys in our grade school used try and emulate them. Pink Floyd was another favorite.

I've always been a huge fan of 'soft rock.' Christopher Cross, James Taylor, Carole King, I could go on and on.

Wow, I warned you that music was a huge part of my life. I could probably keep writing for days about this topic, so to spare you a painful death by boredom, I'm going to call it a night.

3 comments:

C said...

for me some are; sugar shack, pineapple princess, roses are red, just a few... oh and of course the chipmunk christmas album, played it every year, and mitch miller band.

lmao

Mary A. said...

Wow --

OK, I love going to sleep to classical music. My dad always had it on the stereo as we were going to bed.

I remember singing "Silly Love Songs" with my cousin who could play it on guitar. We would stand on our hearth, turn on the accent lite and pretend we were on stage.

I was a total Beatlemaniac - even though I was in HS in the 80's, so any Beatles song transports me.

And for some reason, the song Cherokee People always reminds me of riding in the station wagon on a hot day.

Busy Bee Suz said...

70's music puts me right back into my mom's big ol' Buick...sans seat belt. OY.