LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What's in a number?

So, the last time I lost any significant amount of weight was back in 2000, when I was training for the police academy.  (I think I may have shared that story way back when I first started this blog.  Then again, maybe I didn't.  It's a post for another day...)  That was a particularly significant year for me.  It was both incredibly horribly and incredibly awesome.  I'll explain another day, perhaps.

Anyway, I thought I really had it going on that year.  I've said many, many times that I was in the best physical shape of my life that year, thanks to the training.  For months, I actually ran and worked out daily with a couple of my cousins who were already on the job.  I would say that my self-confidence was at an all-time high.  That was the year of my New Millennium Resolution (now, I KNOW I've posted about THAT before, haven't I?!) and I was living life to the fullest.

One of the highlights of that year was that I, for the first time, was able to buy jeans from Old Navy.  The first time I was able to squeeze into those size 16, boot-cut, low-rise jeans, I literally did a Happy Dance.  I may have even let out a, "Woo hoo!" in the fitting room.  Those jeans fit me like a glove, and made me feel sexy as hell.  I bought several pairs of them, and wore them all the time.  Those were my "going out" jeans, my "salsa dancing" jeans, my "date" jeans, my "Girls' Night" jeans, etc.  I think you get the idea.

Last night I took a little trip to Old Navy.  I've been meaning to do it for months now, since I really don't have any clothes that fit me anymore.  Well, other than the handful of things I've picked up at the thrift store, and a couple of pairs of jeans I picked up on clearance a few months ago at Walmart.  (I believe I may have posted about finding those since they were size 14!!  Yep, from size 24 to size 14.  Go me!!)  But, what I REALLY wanted was a pair of my favorite jeans from Old Navy!  I've been carrying around a gift card that I think someone gave Stud years ago, so I figured it would almost be like getting the jeans for free, right?

I walked over to the Wall-O-Jeans, only to see that in the 13+ years since I've purchased jeans from Old Navy, they had the nerve to change their styles!  What the hell?  Now, instead of just looking for "low-rise, boot-cut," I had to figure out if "Diva," "Flirty," or "Sweetheart" was the right style for me.  After checking out the chart on the wall, I decided "Sweetheart" was the way to go.  (smaller waist, wider thighs)  I grabbed a couple pairs in different lengths and headed to the fitting room.  My first instinct was to grab the size 16s that I was so thrilled to wear in the past.  But, I grabbed the 14s, and hoped for the best.  And, that's just what I got!  They went on without a problem. =)

So, just for shits and giggles, I grabbed a pair of 12s.  I laughed all the way back to the fitting room, shaking my head at myself for being so ridiculous.  However, all that changed when I realized, "Holy shit!  They're on!  I'm wearing a size 12!"  I just could NOT believe it! 

All this time, I kept thinking about what great shape I was in back in 2000, how good I looked, how sexy I felt, etc.  Now, here I am, 2 sizes SMALLER than I was then.  Wow.  Just...wow.

I didn't buy the 12s yesterday, because they only had them in "long."  I absolutely need "short."  (It seems Old Navy jeans run long.)  Plus, just because I was able to get them on (and buttoned and zipped!) doesn't necessarily mean they looked that great.  Admittedly, they were a bit...um...snug.  Now, I realize lots of people wear their jeans that way, but I don't think I'd be comfortable walking around in painted on jeans.  (After all, I'm not a Caribbean Queen, for Pete's sake!)

So, what's in a number?  A LOT when that number is 12. =)

7 comments:

M said...

You Go Girl!!
What a cool day...I wish I could find jeans I fit in...Lucky stopped making the only ones I ever found that fit big legs and small waist :(

Tamar Flower said...

Awesome.. You must be proud of all of the hard work..

Funny in My Mind said...

Jealous! But soooo happy for you!!

Jim said...

How cool was that! Maybe you are leaner now than in 2000.....muscle is trimmer when toned. Good for you. I can tell it MADE YOUR DAY, Lisa!

Busy Bee Suz said...

That is awesome news….you must be high on life! You did a lot of work and you deserve to feel awesome.
XO

Gberger said...

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment! When do we get to see photos?
I am always in search of the perfect jeans (under $70, that is), and I like Old Navy brand - their "Sweetheart" style is my fave, too. I also like Ann Taylor LOFT jeans - on sale! I tried on some fancy jeans at Nordstrom Rack last month - down from $200 to around $100 - but they didn't fit any better, in my eyes. For those prices, they need to look INCREDIBLE! ;)

Sonya Ann said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Your new name is skinny Minnie.