LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Squeeeee!! I have an update!!

Actually, I have two updates, but I know you won't really care about this first one...

It's a stifling 32 degrees here today.  But, don't get excited for us, there's LOTS of snow coming in the next week.  Plus, the temps are going to drop over the next few days, back down to a low of -6 on Superbowl Sunday. 

Now.  On to the REAL update.

I ended up spending about 8 hours yesterday visiting Kensington schools.  I started at the school where they were going to have me work, meeting the director and the woman who will be out on maternity leave.  I was able to stay and observe for a while.  Actually, I stayed for 3 hours.  I wanted to see how things were run, how they handle lunch, and how nap time is done.  Once all the babies (15 of them!) were asleep, I left.  I called the woman who I originally interviewed with, and have been dealing with (she's the HR person for the company), and ended up driving out to the school she was directing yesterday.  I then basically poured my heart out to her regarding my thoughts on the job, now that I was able to see what it would entail. 

I don't know why I was surprised by the fact that it was more "daycare" and less "teaching."  I mean, they're TWO, for Pete's sake!!  Now, I didn't hate it by any means.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed it!  But, if I'm going to be completely honest, it seemed like an awful lot of work for the very small salary they are offering.  I mean, there are diapers to change, for crying out loud.  All day!  And, meals to serve, which then means LOTS of clean-up after that.  Then, think about what trying to put 15 toddlers down for a nap is like.  Go ahead, I'll wait....  Exactly!  It's hard enough for me to get Monkey to take a nap!!  Although, I have to say, the babies have the routine down, and surprised me by how well they handle nap time.  Still, I spent quite a bit of time sitting on the floor, rubbing babies' backs, until they fell asleep.  (Ok, you got me!  I LOVED IT!) 

So.  I called Ms. HR, and told her I was coming to see her to get some forms, and to talk.  I was completely honest with her, and we had a very frank discussion about my thoughts and expectations regarding working for this company.  She ended up talking to the other woman who interviewed me (the COO) and they came back and surprised the heck out of me.  Apparently, while I sat in Ms. HR's office alone for about 20 minutes, they were on the phone with the owner.  Ms. COO then told me that they are going back to the owner's plan, which is to have me start as a Director-in-Training.  She doesn't think having me "stuck" in a single classroom for the rest of the year will do me any good.  She absolutely wants me on a director track (Ms. HR's exact quote was, "B LOVES you!"), and wants me to learn as much about their school as I can, and the best way to do it, is to have me go to a different school and start right away as a DiT.  OMG! 

Now, there's still a little hitch in this plan, which is that they are still only going to be paying me the same salary they offered me to take the maternity leave.  Trust me, it's barely above the poverty level.  I will absolutely have to get a second part-time job to make ends meet.  I already spoke to my sister about the possibility of working on the weekends for her company.  That crazy "perfume ninja" job pays 50% MORE than I will be making at school.  Sad, right?

But, I'm choosing to focus on the positive!  I will only be doing this for a few months, as they plan to have their newest school open by the summer, and then I will be moving to that school as a director.  That's very exciting!!  And, there WILL be a pay increase, but I didn't even ask what it will be.  I know, I know, my family already yelled at me, so feel free to scream at your screen.  I'll just tune you out, like I did them.  I refuse to let you guys burst my bubble!! =)

7 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'm smiling for you. Take the opportunity you have been waiting for and run with it. The money will work itself out. Lots of luck. it feels good to be wanted and you deserve this.

Tamar Flower said...

Congratulations...Very happy for you.

Do not worry about the money. It will eventually work itself out. Plus, my family is the same way with asking 'how much does it pay, what are the benefits?". I tune them out too because they do not understand how it works in education field.

Gberger said...

You are so strong and smart! I love that you leveled with them - what courage, and a blessing for them to know they have a committed, honest, hard working TEACHER as the new DiT! You rock. xo

Cyndy @ Back in the Bush said...

I worked in child care for many years when my kids were little. Although the pay is ridiculous, in my case it worked out well because I got free child care. At one point I had two kids there full time and two after school; if you figure up how much the free child care saved me, I was making good money! But yes - otherwise, the pay is dirt-poor-low, which is sad considering we are caring for people's children!
Best of luck to you!

M said...

Go Girl!! Happy for you! I did many years of daycare and although the pay is small, the rewards are greater :)

jwg said...

Welcome to my world. Salaries in child care are criminal. Fifteen is an awful lot of 2's. The most you could have in NY is 12 and that requires 3 adults. How many assistants would there be?

Busy Bee Suz said...

You'll get no yelling from me. I'm happy for you and they are lucky to get you!
XO