LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, November 20, 2008

I forgot...

...to mention this little tidbit yesterday. While I was working on the Thanksgiving project at the back table, some of the babies were at centers. One group happened to be working on the floor next to my table. I suddenly heard D.U., the same little darling you said, "Don't 'ehhhh' at my lovely teacher!" say, "John McCain tried to kill Barack Obama." He stated it very matter-of-factly. My head snapped up, and I said, "What?!?" He repeated himself, so I asked where he heard such a ridiculous thing. He said his cousin told him. I assured him that the story was utter nonsense, and told him he shouldn't repeat it again.

These are the moments that make me shake my head in sadness.

3 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

Maybe he just misunderstood???

I hope???

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

No, he did not misunderstand! The child heard what he heard.

On the HS level I once taught the song "Strange Fruit" written by a teacher and made into a classic by Billie Holliday. I was told by my African-American students that the song was "whack" and that my teaching of the song only made them hate white people more!

Of course, as an educator, I assured them that that was not the aim of the lesson but it made me think that my job is not just to teach a lesson but to combat ignorance.

Kudos to you!

Me said...

It's bad enough we have adults running their mouths off all the time but it's sad to hear stuff like this out of the little ones. Just keep doing what you do. You are making this world a better place, every day.