LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Aren't Sundays supposed to be for relaxing?

This was a very busy Sunday. Really, I'm not complaining. The reason I was so busy is because my sister and parents came over for dinner, so I spent the day preparing. I'm kicking myself for not taking any pictures for you guys. I'm sorry. I'll go straight to my room.

I tried a new crock pot recipe. (I can see the shocked look on your faces from here, ya know.) It was a recipe for 'crock pot barbeque chicken,' and it was pretty good. The finished dish is shredded chicken in a yummy sauce, similar to pulled pork. After I put everything in the crock pot, I made a trip to the grocery store this morning to get fresh rolls from the bakery to make sandwiches. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my grocery store's bakery had pretzel rolls. YUM! I bought some of those, and then some big, soft, almost fluffy rolls that are intended to be used to make tortas. I picked up a couple of other things for dinner, as well as some ingredients for a recipe I've been wanting to try all week.

Well, I got home, did some cleaning up, did some laundry, made a homemade spinach artichoke dip, and put it in my small crock pot (g'head, giggle. You know you wanna.) I then screamed at Stud to clean up his crap in the basement so we could eat down there (MUCH cooler in the basement) and finally decided it was time to get started on the dessert. Well, hell's bells, it needed to be put in the freezer for EIGHT HOURS. It would have been fine if we wanted to eat dessert at 11PM, but since that wasn't gonna happen, I needed a Plan B. Which meant ANOTHER trip to the grocery store!

Plan B turned out to be a dessert that my brother and his girlfriend introduced us to several years ago. I'm not sure what it's really called, but I decided tonight that we'll be calling it Ice Cream Lasagna. I'm sure some of you have made it before. Here's one version of the recipe that I found online. I tweaked it a bit, adding caramel topping, and then studding the top with maraschino cherries. You pretty much can't go wrong with this one, no matter what changes you make to the 'recipe.' Again, I wish I had taken a freakin' picture for you. But, then again, it would have just made you jealous, and you probably would have shorted out your computer with the drool that would have been running down your chin. ;-)

Dinner was yummy. We started out by gorging ourselves on the spinach artichoke dip. I made a tossed salad with baby spring greens, red and yellow cherry tomatoes and Gorgonzola, dressed with olive oil & red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic (all emulsified in a jar) and corn on the cob to round out our meal. We were all so full, we had to wait quite a while before bringing out our Ice Cream Lasagna.

We had an amusing evening of chit-chat and LOTS of laughs. Stud kept my mom and sister in stitches, mostly by making fun of me, the little shit! He's got an entire stand-up routine now based on my crock pot obsession. My mom and sister were rolling on the floor. My daddy, of course, was NOT participating in the mommy-bashing my son was doing. (What do you mean that's because he was asleep on the couch?!)

Well, the gang just left, I finished the last of the clean up in the basement, the dishwasher is running, I've changed into my jammies and crawled into bed, and now I'm going to check in on all my Bloggy Buddies. I hope your Sunday was half as enjoyable as mine was. Nighty night!

4 comments:

The Spaghetti Westerner said...

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful Sunday, even if it was very busy. Nothing wrong with that!

Mark said...

I'm so freaking hungry now. It seems that all bloggers, this morning, are talking about food. And all I have is this stinkin apple. Ugh! m.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I just hope the grocery store is close since you visited it so much in one day! I am not even going to mention the cr*ck pots...OY. :)
You keep giving SM ammo with your obsession. But the meals sound amazing!!!!

Mary A. said...

I love tiring fun Sundays! I don't love the Monday after tho. . .