Monday, April 16, 2012


I'm starting to have a new appreciation for them. I've written, ad nauseam, about my feelings on the subject, so I won't go there again.

However, I've taken more drugs in the last two weeks than I have in my entire life. Literally. I've tried to go without, and skip doses when I can, but ultimately, I've found myself having to fall back on my Norco. Yesterday, I was feeling pretty darn good when I woke up. I actually went to Sam's Club for some groceries and some things my mother needed for dinner, as we were all getting together to celebrate my daddy's birthday. I was doing fine. Right up until dinner was over...

The pain started kicking in right around dessert time. I was hoping it would just hold steady, but naturally, it didn't. It went from 0-60 in about 15 minutes. Sadly, I had to leave the party. CSJ had some Vicodin with him, that he takes for his arthritis, but I knew I had let myself go WAY past the point of no return. I took it before we left, but my parents only live about 2 minutes from me, so I was still in significant pain when I got home. All I could do was go to my room, put my pajamas on and sob. It took a good hour and half for the meds to kick in, and I was just praying I could fall asleep. Not so much.

Sometimes I think my body has the opposite reaction to things. For example, I can drink 2 espressos at my parents' house, then go home and go right to sleep. Another example would be that Vicodin normally knocks people out, but I think it woke me up. I could not fall asleep for the life of me. I was up until almost 2am. That would be fine except I was supposed to go back to work today. Guess who added to her already two-week-long break? I have GOT to go tomorrow, no matter what.

Maybe part of why I couldn't fall asleep was the fact that I couldn't decide what the hell to do about today. I knew there was no way I could work in that kind of pain, but I also knew I couldn't work with the mind-numbing nausea the Norco gives me. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation. Plus, Norco is a narcotic, which means I probably shouldn't be doing a whole lot of driving, right?

I'm thinking maybe part of the reason the pain came back so strongly yesterday is that yesterday was the first day I wore a bra for a whole day since my rash first started. I think I mentioned that the rash is directly under my bra line. Of course it is!! So I've been letting the girls swing in the breeze for a couple of weeks now. Well, it's actually more bounce off my knees than swing in the breeze. (Sorry, boys!) I'm just praying that the bra isn't a problem tomorrow at work. I obviously can NOT go without one, so say a prayer or something for me, will ya?

Believe it or not, I did not take even ONE picture yesterday. I had about 3 weeks of missed time with Monkey to make up for, so I was far too busy lovin' her up to take pictures.


Sandra said...

Dearest sweet ChiTown Girl...don't be bragging about those boobs! Swinging in the breeze or down to your knees, I'm jealous Girl!
Ok, and to be serious:
1. Thank you for your continued and delightful support. Whenever I see your name in a comment, I smile! I big puffy heart you too! and 2. I hope you feel better soon, and I hope work goes well (I still think you should just let the girls swing where they may and give the boys a thrill!) :) said...

Oh you poor thing!!! I may have missed the day where you mentioned what you had, but from just reading this post, I would guess it is really bad if you have to take narcotics!!! Is it shingles??? Or do you know??? Well, anyways, I hope it gets better whatever it is. I don't have to worry about my girls going anywhere.....they just don't move. Too little I guess, I need to give them vitamins!!! Lmao!!! You take it easy, God bless, keep in touch....xxxxxx said...

Ok, I went back to your old post and saw that it was shingles you have. My mother and father in law both had them, and the dr. Prescribed patches for them. They are called "Lidoderm" and made especially for this. It works transdermally on the nerve pain. I don't think you can use it while you have the sores, but because you will have nerve pain later, after it's healed in that area, you can. Just ask the dr. I hope you feel better soon. They have a vaccine, but I guess it is too late now. You may want to tell everyone you know about the vaccine though BEFORE they come down with it. Hope this helps. Xxxx

Anonymous said...

I knew when I read your original post about shingles what you had.....blisters under bra line...because the same thing happened to me! I also was a public school teacher at the time and was told by my doctor that in my state is was illegal to work in a classroom with an active case of shingles! Who knew??? I had the pain first for almost 2 weeks (felt as if someone had hit me with a baseball bat) before getting the blisters so I had no idea I was working with shingles. Our school nurse had never heard of this "law" but the doctor explained that since I worked in a high school it was more dangerous to be around girls who might be pregnant than it is for an elementary teacher since most children that age have had the vaccine. I lived on extra strength Tylenol for months but it gets better eventually. Good luck!

Jen said...

Two words: duct tape.
And dammit woman! This sucks! (Queen of All Obviousness here...)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Perhaps a tight fitting tank under your shirt, to um, harness the girls?
I am so sorry you are still dealing with this pain, you don't deserve this. I'm glad you have your family there to help you out.