LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday, Marching...

There's a really cute song that is the "theme song" for the current unit in our reading program. Every unit has it's own theme song, and each day's lesson is supposed to start with the kids singing it. Most of the time, we skip it, because let's face it, how many times can I listen to the same song? But, the first unit, "Smart Start," has this really cute song called Today is Monday. It goes like this:

Today is Monday,
Today is Monday!
Monday, marching (we march in place)
All you happy children,
We wish the same to you!

Today is Tuesday,
Today is Tuesday!
Tuesday, tiptoe (we tiptoe in place)
Monday, marching (we march in place)
All you happy children,
We wish the same to you!

Today is Wednesday,
Today is Wednesday!
Wednesday, wiggling (we wiggle our whole body)
Tuesday, tiptoe
Monday, marching
All you happy children,
We wish the same to you!

The song continues in this way with:
Thursday, throwing (we make a throwing motion
Friday, flying (we put our arms out like we're flying)
Saturday, snoring (we put our hands together, next to our tilted head, like we're sleeping, and of course, we snore!)
Sunday, singing (we sing 'fa la la la la!')

By the time we get to Sunday, we're doing all 7 motions. It's a great way to "get the wiggles out" as I like to say to my babies. It tires me out, that's for sure! I tried to upload an audio file of me singing it for you, but luckily for my pride, it won't let me!

No real D.J. report today. He had a wonderful day. I am a little concerned, though, about J.H. He's the little sweetie who said "flowers are for giving to your mom" when I was testing. Last week, he missed a day of school because his mom told me he had been throwing up the night before. Well, Friday, when he got to school in the morning, he just had that 'sick' look to his face. His mother brought him in while yelling at him, and carrying on about how he didn't want to get up that morning. She was on the phone, mind you, while she's carrying on, and yelling, and generally causing a ruckus in my classroom. Then I hear her say something like, "Your son didn't want to get up this morning! You better get him!" into the phone.

Now, J.H. is one of the students in my class whose sibling was in my class last year. Mom used to do some of the same crazy stuff last year with his sister, and she drove me NUTS! Now, she's pulling the same stuff with J.H., and I don't like it. After she left Friday, he just put his head down on the table. At first, I thought maybe he was just tired, and like his mom said, he didn't want to get up, maybe he stayed up too late, whatever. But, as the morning went on, he kept his head down on the table, not talking, not participating, but not sleeping. After lunch, J.H. asked if he could stay back from gym. Now, what kid wants to miss gym?! I asked him to come over to me so I could talk to him, and when I went to put my arms around him, I realized he was really warm. I told him he absolutely could miss gym. So, he went to lie on the carpet, and I went to call his mom. She proceeds to tell me that he's faking, and that no, she won't come and get him. Suffice it to say, I was not happy.

By some miracle, she did come a little while later, and took him home, but she made it clear that she was pissed, and insisted that he wasn't really sick. Get a grip, lady!! This morning, when she brought him to school, she made sure to tell me that J.H. was fine all weekend, that he played and ate just fine, etc. Well, he still didn't look so good to me. And, lo and behold, as we were walking down the hall to lunch, I turn around to see him spewing all the way down the hallway. The poor baby tried to find a garbage can to throw up in, but there wasn't one. He was trying to hold it in, literally, with his hands. He finally managed to climb up on a chair and hang his head over the giant garbage cart and finish throwing up. My poor baby. He stayed back from gym again, then continued to lie down during rest time. He did get up eventually when we were doing some drawing, but he just kind of sat at his table, not really moving much.

I didn't even bother to call his mother, since she made it abundantly clear in the morning that she didn't want to be bothered with him today. I did tell her what happened when she picked him up, though, and she seemed annoyed. She told me, again, how he was perfectly fine all weekend. Whatever!! I just hope he's better tomorrow, because I don't know how much longer I can watch him suffer.

I had another new student arrive today! Yikes! That makes 26 children in a room with 24 seats. Hmmm, that's just swell! Ok, that's all I'm going to say about that, because I don't want to do anymore complaining today :(

Quote for the day:

It has always seemed strange to me that in our endless discussions about education so little stress is laid on the pleasure of becoming an educated person, the enormous interest it adds to life. To be able to be caught up into the world of thought -- that is to be educated.
---Edith Hamilton

Have a great night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.