Thursday, May 31, 2012
Let's see, what I can I write about instead?
Well, it was in the 40s this morning. As I type this, my weather widget says 49. Hmmm... a 50 degree temperature change in a matter of days. Yup, that's Chicago! And THAT'S my final NaBloPoMo post! (well, at least for May. You all KNOW I'm gonna get sucked into doing this again at some point.)
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Instead, I'm sharing a really cute video I just watched over at Tiffany's place. It was put together by the teachers at her former school. It's really cute. And, you don't even have to be a teacher to appreciate it!
I'll also share with you a little reminder of how crazy the weather is here in Chicago. Two days ago I was bitching about having to turn the damn air conditioning on, and today, I'm sitting here in a sweatshirt and sweatpants, cuz I'm freezing! Granted, I have every door and window open, and the ceiling fans on, but that's exactly the way I like it!! I'd rather sit in a cold room, in a sweatshirt, than in a miserably hot room, naked (cuz that's the ONLY way to sit in a hot room!)
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
What do you still make-believe?
That I am tall, thin, pretty, with a dream job that a pays me butt-loads of money.
Naturally, because I broke down and put the air on yesterday, the temperature dropped today, and is supposed to drop the rest of the week, maybe even into the high 60s by the end of the week. You know, the weather I LOVE. Yeah...
That's Chicago for ya!
Since I don't have much to write tonight, I thought I'd share a few shots from this weekend. After all, who can get enough of these two faces?!?!
Monday, May 28, 2012
That's the earliest I've EVER turned on my air. I am NOT happy right now.
However, apparently we broke all kinds of records today here in Chicago. The 10:00 news just reported that today was the hottest Memorial Day on record here. Great. Just great.
It's actually been hotter the past week or so than it was today. I still held out, and just cranked the fans. But, this afternoon, as I sat in a puddle of my own sweat, trying to pretend I wasn't, I noticed that my thermostat said it was 94 in my house. Ninety-freakin'-four. I took an ice-cold shower. Less than 5 minutes after drying off I was drenched again. (Ok, I'm sorry, I realize that's just gross.)
I had to do it. I had to close the windows and click the air on. I am NOT happy right now.
Sunday, May 27, 2012
Not the best picture, but here are 6 of my mother-in-law's 9 children.
Here are all the GREAT-grandchildren that were at the party. How stinkin' cute are they!?
The two little darlings to the right of my MIL (in the sort of matching dresses) are actually twins. When they were toddlers, everyone called them Salt 'N Pepper, since one has curly blondish hair with blue eyes and fair skin, and the other has pin-straight dark hair, brown eyes and olive skin. Both are simply beautiful.
This is my second oldest sister-in-law. Is she my MIL's twin or what?!?! (She's the grandma of the twins above.)
I can't wait to see the professional version of this one. I think I'm going to love it.These are my MIL's girlfriends I mentioned in an earlier post. They all were nurses together at Northwestern Memorial Hospital here in Chicago for over 25 years, until my MIL retired about 16 years ago.
This is the pastor from my MIL's church (whom she adores!) and his wife.
Well, ok, she would never say that to anyone else, but WE know it's the truth! ;-) He IS her last grandchild, and the baby's baby, so that makes him special in his own right.
Her other favorite grandchild, Brian. She just loved that kid so much. She was really sad that he left. She's gonna miss the little booger.
Ok, that's all for today. When I get the professional pictures back, I'll be boring you with more, so consider yourself warned.
Saturday, May 26, 2012
a little more...
yep, where it says "Followers"....
THERE! Do you see it?!
I HIT 100 FOLLOWERS!!
I know your amazed at the restraint I'm showing in my celebrating, right?
And, the best part is that Follower #100 is Mel, who is the sister of Funny. I think they're both a laugh riot. I've been reading Funny for a while, but only just discovered Mel's blog a couple of days ago. I love her already. You should check them both out, especially if you need a smile.
Mel, I feel like I should do something special for you. I'll get back to you about this. :)
(And, yes, I do realize that it's very childish of me to make such a big deal about this, but I can't help it, it makes me happy! So there!)
Friday, May 25, 2012
Last night Brian graduated. Stud, CSJ and I attended the ceremony, along with my mother and mother-in-law, and Brian's mother. (She arrived from Hong Kong Tuesday night) Somehow, we all were split up at the ceremony. Stud sat on the floor with my MIL, in the VIP section (and by VIP I mean handicapped/elderly/people who couldn't climb stairs). My mom and Brian's mom sat on one side of the auditorium, directly across from CSJ and I on the OTHER side of the auditorium. The two moms went in while I was waiting for CSJ to go park the car. They wanted to make sure they could save seats. Well, that was great, except I forgot to tell them which side of the auditorium Brian told me to sit on, so we'd be closer to him. When CSJ and I went in, we went to the side Brian told me to, but then we couldn't find the moms. CSJ found them just as the graduates started walking in, so they basically were stuck. Eh, in the windup, it was fine. Brian's mom walked down to the floor to take pictures anyway.
I think the seating actually worked out for the best. The whole night was so bittersweet for us. I know I (STILL!!) haven't shared the scoop, but you may remember that Stud started college this past January. That means he missed out on participating in this ceremony. It was best, I think, that CSJ and I sat alone, because neither one of us had to pretend it wasn't killing us. I'm trying NOT to dwell on the whole situation, so I'm going to move on.
I'm so excited that we have a long weekend. I, actually, am half-way through my SIX-day weekend. Let me just share the highlights....
Wednesday morning, on the way to work, I managed to wreck the RENTAL car I've been driving since Stud's car was smashed a few weeks ago. Yeah...good times, good times... When I went to Enterprise to switch cars, they told me that Enterprise will probably total the car because of the extent of the damage.
Anyway, I never went to work on Wednesday, since I had to deal with this accident. I spent almost 2 hours filing the report at the police station, then I went straight to my insurance agent's office, where I spent another 2 hours (mostly because they're friends of mine, so we were chatting) then it was off to Enterprise to get another car. By the time all was said and done, it was the end of my work day! I ended heading over to my mother's because my brother was there with my monkey. Yay!
So, moving on. I had already taken today off because I had plans with a friend whose birthday is also today. After I ended up taking Wed. off, too, my insurance agent friend convinced me that I should just take Thursday off, as well, and make it a loonngg weekend. He didn't need to suggest that twice! I spent the day with my baby, running errands and just hanging out before it was time for graduation.
So far this morning, I've been enjoying the gorgeous weather. I'm about to go outside and plant the tomato and basil plants we bought yesterday. I need to do it before it gets too hot. The past few days have reached the high 80s, low 90s, and today is also expected to hit the 90s. Right now, it's in the high 60s, which is perfect. I'd better get going, huh? It's almost 8am!!
I'll try to come back later with some photos. I'm skipping today's NaBloPoMo post because it was really stupid. You're welcome. :)
And, finally, a very happy 21st anniversary to my dear friends Suz & Coach, and Karen & Gregg!!
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Do you think you're a good sport?
Yes, usually, as long as the other person wins fair and square. I can't tolerate cheaters.
Just another tidbit about 7 Little Words. I realized that I didn't mention this time that this was a free app I had downloaded to my iPod and iPhone. There are about 4 or 6 sets of free games that come with the download (each set has 50 puzzles) and there is a free daily puzzle, like the one in my previous post. I can't tell you how much I love this game. It's my go-to game when I'm sitting in a waiting room (which is happening more and more lately with my in-laws). Usually, CSJ and I will play together, but when I get sick of him playing over my shoulder, one of us will play on the iPod and the other will play on the iPhone.
I should be embarrassed to admit I have purchased every single additional puzzle pack. Each pack is 99 cents, which sounds pricey, I know, but like I said, there are 50 puzzles in each pack. (Plus, I didn't buy them all at once. I bought them as they were released, so it was probably less than one a week.) The way I see it, it's no different than the puzzle books I pick up at the dollar store to help me pass the time. And, this is WAY easier to carry around. I used to be one of those people who always had a crossword puzzle book in my purse. Now, I just play on my phone.
Anyhoo, if you haven't already checked it out, you should. It's a great way to keep those brain cells active! :)
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
What was the last game you played?
The last thing I do every night before going to sleep is play 7 Little Words for a while.
HOLY CRAP! When I went to google 7 Little Words, I discovered you can now play online!!!! Oh my hell, if you haven't tried this game yet, click on the link above right now. I'm ABSOLUTELY addicted.
Monday, May 21, 2012
How do you play as an adult?
Puh-leeze! This is a family blog!!! I'm not touching this one with a ten-foot pole!
S0, instead, I'll share some family "stuff" from this weekend.
When I get the disc of professional photos from the photographer, I will absolutely share those. In the meantime, here is what I was able to capture the moment my mother-in-law walked in to the party.
The surprise party for my MIL was on Saturday. Then on Sunday, my niece graduated. Again, I'll share better pictures when I get them. In the meantime, here's the ONLY photo captured on my camera.
Sunday, May 20, 2012
2. How do you like your steak? medium-well
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? I honestly don't remember. I know it was over a year ago, though. I'm NOT a fan of going to the movies. Mostly because I'm too much of a bitch. I can NOT stand people talking during a movie, or eating loudly, or kicking my seat, etc. Plus, the smell of movie theater popcorn nauseates me a bit.
4. What is your favorite TV show? Wow, too many to choose from! Desperate Housewives, Once Upon a Time, Dancing with the Stars, Biggest Loser, Modern Family, The Middle, Grey's Anatomy, The Practice, Shark Tank, What Would You Do?...wow, I need help, don't I?
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Hmmm, this is a tough one. Seattle is HIGH on my list, but we've been talking a lot lately about moving to Indiana. We've also talked about going north, to someplace where the climate is nice and cool.
6. What did you have for breakfast? Just coffee so far. I'm feeling far too lazy to actually make anything yet.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? I could eat Mexican every single day.
8. What foods do you dislike? wow, that's a short list! Liver (or any kind of organ meat, for that matter!), eggplant, raisins (but if they're covered in chocolate, I can choke 'em down, I guess)
9. Favorite Place to Eat? my mother's house
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? I have a Honda CR-V, but I've been driving a Chevy Impala since Stud's accident, so that he can drive my car
12. What are your favorite clothes? sadly, any pants with elastic waists, and loose, blousy tops
13. Where would you visit, this weekend, if you had the chance? Seattle area, so I could visit Smiley Girl and Karen
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? usually half full
15. Where would you want to retire? Some place where the temperature stays between 65-75 ALL YEAR! (yes, I hear some of you screaming San Diego. I really need to get there to see for myself.)
16. Favorite time of day? VERY early morning (around 5ish) when the rest of the world is still asleep, and I can go sit out on my deck in the cool morning air, sipping my coffee and watching the sun come up
17. Where were you born? Chicago
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Chicago Cubs baseball
19. How many siblings? 1 sister, 1 brother
20. Favorite pastime/hobby? sleeping, reading, sleeping, eating, sleeping, blog reading, sleeping
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? anyone who's willing to take the time to do it!
22. Bird watcher? yes, sometimes. It's weird, I like to watch them from a distance, which is why I have a bird bath in both my front and back yards, and several bird feeders. However, birds COMPLETELY freak me out (damn you, Alfred Hitchcock!!) so I don't like them anywhere near me!
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? I know I just said my favorite time of day is early morning, but I am NOT a morning person!!! I am not pleasant to be around in the morning when I first wake up and I have to go to work, etc. I'm always rushed, and running late, so I tend to have very little patience. Especially if I have to drive someone else to school, if you catch my drift. I am much more a night owl, I guess. Well, maybe I should say I used to be, since most days I can't stay awake past 8 pm anymore.
24. Do you have any pets? Dorky Dog (AKA, Buster) and my betta fish, who sadly, doesn't even have a name!
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? I know I already let this cat out of the bag the other day, but as of June 16, I will officially be unemployed.
26. What did you want to be when you were little? a kindergarten teacher
27. What is your best childhood memory? wow, I have no idea where to start with this one, I have so many awesome memories. Most of the best ones involve being surrounded by my ENORMOUS Italian family, sitting around a table covered by delicious food, and the sound of laughter, music and singing in the air.
28. Are you a cat or dog person? dog
29. Are you married? well, technically, no
30. Always wear your seat belt? yes
31. Been in a car accident? yes, a few
32. Any pet peeves? holy crap, where do I start?! Rude people, people who chew with their mouths open, people who don't give a 'thank you wave' when you let them into traffic, people who don't hold the door for those behind them, bad drivers, lights left on for no reason, dirty dishes left in the sink when the dishwasher is TWO FEET AWAY, phone calls from solicitors, junk mail, people who talk during movies...eesh, I'd better stop!
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives
34. Favorite Flower? lilacs, petunias, roses
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Wendy's
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? never
38. From whom did you get your last email? monster.com
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? sadly, Walmart. Oh, and Bed, Bath and Beyond, maybe Pier One
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? no, not really. Man, that's just sad...
41. Like your job? abso-fuckin-lutely not (not anymore, I should say)
42. Broccoli? YES. I had it for dinner :)
43. What was your favorite vacation? Last March, when Stud, CSJ and I went to Saugatuck, MI for a few days for spring break. It was the first trip we ever took as a family.
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? my niece graduated this afternoon, so we all (my parents, my sister, her two daughters, her ex-husband, Stud and I [CSJ had to work :( ] went to dinner at one of her favorite restaurants
45. What are you listening to right now? the evening news
46. What is your favorite color? green
47. How many tattoos do you have? Hell-to-the-NO, none, never, not ever
48. How many people will fill this out? how the hell should I know?!
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 9:09 pm
50. Coffee Drinker? um, duh! Can you say Keurig?!
Saturday, May 19, 2012
Friday, May 18, 2012
Ok, here's the dumb prompt from yesterday. It was FINALLY there this morning.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Who did it with the candlestick in the conservatory?
Believe it or not, Clue was one of the games I actually LOVED as a kid. Stud also like it a lot, so we got to play quite frequently when he was a kid. You know what, I just may drag it out this weekend. As far as the answer to the prompt, it was actually Col. Mustard in the Library with the Pistol. DUH!
Friday, May 18, 2012
With charades, do you prefer to act or guess?
Well, I prefer not to play this game, but if I have to pick, I'd say guess. I would much rather play Pictionary. Same concept, yet MUCH more fun!
We're supposed to have a lovely weekend here in Chitown. This week has been great already. They're predicting 88 and sunny tomorrow. Well, ok, you know I'm not lovin' the 88 part, but still. We're having a big surprise party for my mother-in-law tomorrow, so I'm glad the weather is going to be nice. There are folks coming from far and wide. I know her gut reaction is going to be to want to throttle us, but I'm hoping that passes quickly and that she enjoys herself. We have some of her "work friends" coming, which is great. She's been retired for 16 years now, so I think she'll be happy to see them. Our personal gift to her was to hire a professional photographer for the occasion. Naturally, I'll be sharing photos when I get them.
Yikes, I just realized the time. Someone's going to be late for work! Have a happy Friday!
Thursday, May 17, 2012
I got an award today! Funny in My Mind awarded me the Kreativ Blogger Award. Thanks, Bloggy Buddy!
It's especially great that she gave me this today, cuz now I have something to post about. The freakin' NaBloPoMo prompt STILL isn't up for today. WTF?!
According to the Kreativ blogger rules, accepting the award includes the following:
2. Sharing 10 things about yourself that bloggers might find interesting!
10 Things About Me
1. I am in a completely different place now than I was when I started this little blog over 4 years ago. Some of it is for the worst, but most of it is for the better.
2. As much as it broke my heart when I found out my brother was going to be a father, I could NOT possibly love my new niece any more than I do. Well, I suppose most of you already know that, huh? It's not like I post about her much.... ;-)
3. My year with my exchange student, Brian, is quickly coming to an end. His mom is arriving from Hong Kong on Tuesday, and he'll be staying with her at her hotel until they leave on Saturday morning. I know this makes me a royal bitch, but I can't wait. I'm sure I'll feel differently in a week or so after he's gone, when I have time to really think about things, but right now, I'm REALLY sick of having two teenaged boys in my house!
4. I have never been this fat in my life. That's all I'm going to say about that for now.
5. My in-laws are very quickly becoming "old." My FIL, especially. As of late, my life has become all about driving from one doctor's appointment to another. This week has been especially rough. It makes me feel a bit guilty that I've been doing so much for them lately, when I don't do the same for my own parents. I try to remind myself that my parents are not in their 80s like my in-laws, and they really don't need me like that yet. Still, I feel guilty.
6. I don't ever wear makeup. Granted, I probably SHOULD, and lots of it, but I don't.
7. I seem to be the only one in the family NOT going to Italy this summer. Yeah, my mom's not all that thrilled with me, but she'll just have to get over it.
8. I'm REALLY having trouble coming up with TEN interesting things here! I've done so many of these, I don't think there's anything you guys don't already know about me!
9. I always thought I'd have three sons. Obviously I don't, but it's what I always wanted. That's probably why I love Stud's friends so much, and treat them like my own.
10. In 4 short weeks, I will officially be unemployed. I heard you gasp from here. Now, you'll just have to wait for the scoop. ;-)
Ok, I know I'm supposed to pick 6 people, but before you start to panic, you can just relax. I'm not picking anyone. If you want to do it, great, I'd love to read it!
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Pick your poison: Candy Land or Chutes-and-Ladders and why?
I suppose it depends on who I'm playing with and why. Candy Land is incredibly basic. Players only need to know their colors, really. That's one of my favorite "first" games to play with kids. Chutes and Ladders is a great game for counting. Both are great for teaching kids how to follow the rules, take turns, and play nice. So, I guess I can't really pick one over the other!
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
What piece do you have to be in Monopoly and why?
I can't even believe this is a prompt, after what I shared the other day. JFTR, I do always try to be the dog, though. It makes me think of our first dog, a Schnauzer named Toby. And that's ALL I want to say about that game from hell!
Monday, May 14, 2012
What is the worst game to get stuck playing?
Oh, this one is actually easy - Monopoly! I HATE that game!!! And, naturally, Stud and his father love it. So, guess who has to give in when they feel like playing it. Ah....the sacrifices of a wife and mother....
I don't particularly care for Trivial Pursuit, either, since I never know ANY answers! I suck! CSJ, however, knows EVERYTHING. I don't think I've ever known him to get a question wrong in that dumb game. Actually, when we were dating, we used to have a lot of game nights with our friends (mine and his), and they ALL refused to play Trivial Pursuit because he was too good at it. I've always said he was the most brilliant man I've ever met. (Of course, that in no way means he always makes good choices, but that's a post for another day...) He was nice enough to share with me that he had the same problem with his & HWW's friends. He's nothing if not consistent ;-) Although, I have a feeling her friends would have found Candy Land a bit of a challenge. Ok, ok, I know, that's bitchy. True, but bitchy.
Sunday, May 13, 2012
I warned you to get a tissue!
Ok, enough of the snarky, now for the sweet stuff...
God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.
Saturday, May 12, 2012
Well, my body obviously needed it. Truthfully, I think if I let myself lie down right now, I just may doze off again. My head feels like it's stuffed with cotton, my throat feels like I swallowed glass, and it's gray and rainy outside. PERFECT sleeping weather. I have my bedroom window cracked a bit to let in the cool breeze, and the pitter-patter of the rain against my window is like a favorite lullaby. And I'm about to give into its powers of persuasion....
Friday, May 11, 2012
Friday, May 11, 2012
What sport do you wish you could try?
Thursday, May 10, 2012
Did you have a favourite sports player as a child?
The prompts above are the reason I probably won't be doing the "official" NaBloPoMo for May. I guess technically, you only need to post everyday to complete the challenge. The prompts are merely suggestions. So far, I'm NOT digging them.
So, instead of answering the prompt, I'll just ramble on for a minute. I'm SO happy the weekend is here. I'm exhausted. The only reason I'm sitting here typing is because I can't let myself go to bed at 7:30. I'd wake up at 3 am, then be screwed for the rest of the weekend. But, trust me, I could fall asleep right at this keyboard. Part of me thinks that if I DID let myself go to sleep, it's entirely possible that I would sleep until 7 am.
I had a LONG afternoon with my in-laws today. I actually had a long one on Wednesday, too. My sister-in-law and I, along with my mother-in-law, took my father-in-law to the doctor. Well, the whole afternoon was just a three-ring circus of crazy. Besides the couple of hours at the doctor's office, we then went to four different pharmacies looking for a knee brace. Finally, my MIL lost it, and said "Enough is enough!" She was irritated with my FIL for making us drive all over creation.
Well, today, he had his follow-up visit. Stud and I took them today. It was a long visit, followed by trips to two different labs that were closed, finally landing at the lab at our nearest hospital (where Stud and I BOTH visited the ER in the last month) so my FIL could get a blood test. After that, I dropped them off and went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for him.
Now all of that might not sound TOO exhausting, but add into that the fact that every freakin' leg of this journey involved 10 minutes to get him out of the car, 10 minutes to get him back in, all while maneuvering a walker AND a wheelchair, which then had to be folded up and dragged in and out of my car. Ugh. Thank God Stud was with me to push him and his chair. That meant I could drop him and his grandparents off at the main entrance of the hospital, while I parked about 6 blocks away and walked back. Then, after the blood draw, I got to walk the six blocks back to the car so I could pick them up at the door. Ok, I'm starting to see why I'm so tired...
On top of that, I'm coming down with something. My throat started hurting last night, and I woke up out of a sound sleep in the middle of the night because it was hurting so bad. My head is starting to be a little stuffy, which means I'm in for a weekend of fun. It just may be one of those stay-in-bed-and-watch-movies-and-read-all-weekend kind of weekends.
Well, it took me so long to type this, while I watched Shark Tank in between, that it's now 8 pm. I think I can let myself go to bed now! Good night!
Thursday, May 10, 2012
I'm off to dinner with the honey at a new place we're trying thanks to Groupon. Have a mentioned yet how much I love Groupon. Oh, I did? Well, I DO!
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
What do you do to celebrate a win?
Nothing. Well, maybe it depends on what it was I won. Now that Stud is older, I may or may not gloat a bit, mostly because he's a sore loser. But, in general, I don't do anything really.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
How did you feel as a child when you lost a game?
Again, I didn't really care. Usually, if I was playing against my brother or sister, I would just let them win because it made them happy. Especially my baby brother. Guess that explains why he's such a spoiled brat now, huh?
So far, I am NOT diggin' these prompts for May. I hope I don't end up being a NaBloPoMo dropout...
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
I'm exhausted, and I need to go to bed. Thanks for a great night, family!
Monday, May 7, 2012
What sports did you play as a child?
Believe it or not, I DID play a sport as a child. I played softball! I was actually pretty good. Not at the level of Suz's daughter, but good. I had quite a powerful swing, and could hit it out of the park. Now, I didn't so much like the running that came immediately after that, but I dealt with it.
For those of you not in the know, softball is a HUGE thing here in Chicago. Years ago, my sister's then-husband sponsored a softball team that we all played on. It was a mixed league, so you needed to have a minimum number of women, which is how my sister suckered me into it. I agreed to bat, but my brother-in-law had to agree to be my pinch-runner. That's exactly what we did! It was actually a lot of fun. We sucked, but we didn't care. We only won one game that season, and that was only because it was by forfeit. Eh, whatever!
Sunday, May 6, 2012
His grandma ordered it from her favorite pizza place, and had it delivered here for her "baby." She had them write that message on the box for him. She's too funny!!
Hmmm...still here? Ok, don't say I didn't warn you!
My sister made these really cute "film strips" with a bunch of photos of my niece's last 18 years. I know I zoomed past them kind of quickly, sorry.
Wow, if you're still here, I owe you a cookie. It's in the mail!!
Saturday, May 5, 2012
So, today was my oldest niece's prom. Well, the first one. She'll be going to another next week.
My sister decorated her car in the middle of the night.
Then, we had TWO surprise parties in one day! My sister planned a Tea Party for my niece and her friends. She had it at the bar. I actually took video specifically to share with you guys, but I may have to hold off until tomorrow on that.
Here she is with her girlfriends, while they enjoyed their finger sandwiches.Then, we had a second surprise party, also at the bar, with the family. Again, pictures/video to come. But, here she is with her birthday "cake." She wanted red velvet, so we went with cupcakes.
Ok, that's about all the Blogger hell I can handle for one night. THANK YOU to all my friends who have asked about Stud, either in a comment here or a personal email. You have no idea how much your well-wishes and kindness are appreciated. I can't say it enough - I love my Bloggy Friends!! Stud is feeling a bit stiff and sore today, but I've been diligent about sticking to the meds schedule, so I'm hoping the pain stays at a minimum.
Friday, May 4, 2012
Who wouldn't let you play with them as a child?
Honestly, I can't think of a single person. Then again, maybe that has something to do with the previously mentioned fact that I always had my nose in a book. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if someone said they didn't want to play me.
My baby was involved in another accident today. It's not good. It is entirely possible that his car is totaled. We spent some time in the ER, and thank God he's fine. He does have whiplash, and the doctor warned him that he's going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow. They sent him home with some muscle relaxers and some pain meds.
My poor baby. Again, he was not at fault here. He was rear-ended by an elderly man who hit him so hard, he slammed into the taxi in front of him. The car was smashed from both ends. The front and back bumpers are popped, his trunk is popped and won't stay closed, there's a big crease on the rear passenger side, his hood is smashed, the grill is destroyed, his front license plate was basically embedded into the back of the taxi, the front passenger door won't open, the drivers seat is broken, even the freakin' glove box won't close. I mean, HOLY CRAP!
Of course, I'm thanking God over and over that he is fine, because I know it could have been SO much worse. He walked away. He's sore, and it's going to get worse before it gets better, but he's still here to feel that pain. Trust me, I am thankful.
I'm going to be praying that the car isn't totaled. I mean, come on, we JUST got it!! I'm sad for my baby. He's already missing his car (that he named Marla, by the way) and he's hoping he'll be getting her back. Thankfully he'll be too drugged up this weekend to worry about it too much. When the doctor said, "I want you to just take it easy for the next few days. Just lay around and rest." his reply was, "Well, that shouldn't be a problem!" I was thinking, "Yeah, it'll be like every other weekend, you lazy bum!"
Stud took a million pictures of his car right after the accident, so if he shares them with me, I just may share them with you. In the meantime, please send positive thoughts this way for the car to be repairable. Stud thanks you!
Thursday, May 3, 2012
Talk about a toy you broke as a child.
This story STILL gets brought up every once in while, mostly when my family wants to talk about my temper. When I was 5, right after we moved into the house my parents still live in, my parents bought me a vanity. You know, a mini-sized, plastic, kids' vanity. It was pink, and the middle lifted to reveal a storage area, and there was a mirror under the lid. You lifted the lid, and it stayed open so you could use the mirror.
Well, at some point, I must have somehow snapped a clip or something that kept the mirror open, and it wouldn't stay up. I lifted the mirror five or six times, and was getting more and more aggravated. Finally, I snapped. I snatched the lid right off the vanity and threw it across the room, shattering the mirror. It scared the ever-livin' shit out of my parents, who came running into the room. My mother asked me what the hell happened, and I told her. It took her a minute to get past her initial shock, but then she burst out laughing.
Even now, she always says, "I just couldn't believe you did that!" Then she goes on and on about how I've always had a bad temper. Yeah, yeah, whatever. What do you expect from a hot-blooded Italian woman, who also happens to be a Taurus? I mean - DUH!
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Write about a strong memory from recess.
When I was in 2nd grade, we were lining up to go back in from recess. We were standing outside of my friend Lynn's classroom, and I waved to her through the window. As I brought my hand down, my fingers sort of curled, and I felt something wet and squishy on my pinkie. I looked and saw the remains of a bumblebee!! It had stung the tip of my pinkie, apparently at the same time that I was closing my hand. It was the first time I had been stung by a bee. Believe it or not, I didn't completely freak, but I think it's because I was in shock. That happened 37 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Although, NOW when I think about it, it gives me palpitations!
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Who did you play with as a child?
To hear my mother tell it, I would much rather be sitting with my nose stuck in a book than play when I was a kid. I have a younger sister, so I suppose we played together, but once she started school, I think she played more with her friends. My brother is significantly younger than me, so I played with him when he was a baby, but by the time he was in school, I was busy doing my own thing.
My friend Lynn (who I've written about before) lived 6 houses down from me, and we spent almost every waking moment together. Well, when I wasn't reading, that is. ;-) Luckily, Lynn was a big geek like me, so she didn't mind sitting together with our books. We took a lot of trips to the library together. We'd walk or ride our bikes there at least once a week. Sometimes, especially if it was a rainy day, we'd make homemade play dough. Usually we would just make it, then give it to my younger brother and sister to play with. Yeah, we were cool like that.